The FrogWatch USA™ volunteers must complete four hours of training (see Training Schedule). They use the following protocol when monitoring frogs from February through August:
FrogWatch Monitoring Protocol
- Review the local frog and toad calls.
- Conduct an evening monitoring visit, at least 30 minutes after sunset
- Document the weather conditions - wind speed, temperature, recent moisture, etc.
- Wait at least 2 minutes to let the frogs acclimate to your presence.
- Listen for precisely 3 minutes.
- Write down species and calling intensities heard.
- Submit your data!
- Repeat: Monitor multiple times from February through August.
Data will be submitted on the Frog Watch Field Scope (FWFS) website.
FrogWatch Monitoring Kit
- FrogWatch USA™ Monitoring Protocol
- FrogWatch USA™ Data Sheets
- Stopwatch or wristwatch with a second hand
- Clipboard or other firm writing surface
- Pencil or indelible ink pen
- Written permission for private property use
- First Aid Kit
- Cell Phone
- Rain gear
- Tape or digital recorder
- Insect repellant
- Amphibian Field Guide
In addition, it is helpful to team up on the first several monitoring sessions to gain confidence.